First Commercial-Scale Wind Turbine Erected in New York City

NYC wind turbine at Sims Recycling_editedSims Metal Management has constructed New York City’s first commercial-scale wind turbine at a recycling facility in Brooklyn. The 160-foot tall, 100-kW turbine by Northern Power Systems (a HOMER Energy Gold Partner) is expected to supply up to 4% of the center’s power needs. The facility already boasts a solar panel array that produces 16% of its power, bringing the facility’s total combined renewable energy production level to 20%.

“’As a recycling company, sustainability is central to our mission, and in Brooklyn, we saw the opportunity to advance that agenda in new ways,’ said Tom Outerbridge, General Manager of Sims Municipal Recycling. ‘The wind turbine, combined with the solar array, enables the facility to decrease its non-renewable energy consumption substantially.’

‘Northern Power Systems would like to congratulate the entire Sims team for reaching this impressive energy sustainability milestone, paying dividends forward for decades,’ said Trevor Atkinson, Sales and Business Development Manager at Northern Power Systems. ‘We are delighted to have this new installation join our growing global fleet.'”

Construction costs for the wind turbine totaled $750,000 and are expected to be recovered in just 5 years of operation.



Post a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.