With its extreme weather and remote communities, Alaska has much to teach the world about microgrids. Industry leaders gathered in Denver next week for the 5th annual HOMER International Microgrid Conference (HIMC2017) can gain valuable insight on Alaska, the “first frontier” of hybrid microgrids. Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski will introduce a panel on remote Alaskan microgrids via video link. Senator Murkowski co-authored the widely supported bipartisan Energy and Natural Resources Act in July, which seeks to modernize the nation’s energy policies. The bill specifically recognizes the importance of microgrids in the nation’s future energy infrastructure.
Other participants in the session, titled “Alaska: Microgrids’ First Frontier: Lessons from 20 years of Hybrid Microgrids,” include moderator Ian Baring Gould, Technology Deployment Manager at NREL, and panelists:
- Rob Roys, Western Regional Manager, ABB
- Eric Hanssen, Program Manager, Rural Energy Initiative, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Tony Jimenez, Senior Engineer, NREL Dennis Meiners, Intelligent Energy
- Scott Haase, Senior Engineer/DOI Liaison, NREL
- Brianne Miller, Senior Professional Staff Member and Energy Policy Advisor, Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee.
- The session takes place Monday, September 21 from 2 – 3.30 PM at the Embassy Suites by Hilton.
This panel is part of HIMC2017’s packed agenda. The conference will be held at the Embassy Suites in downtown Denver, Colorado, September 18-21, 2017. The conference has attracted large industry leaders, including ABB, General Electric, Caterpillar, Cummins, S&C Electric, and SAFT, as well as Colorado-based companies such as Ft. Collins-based Spirae, a leader in innovative control technologies for distributed electricity generation.
Keynote speakers include:
- Bob Stojanovic, Director of Microgrids in North America for ABB
- Karl Rabago, Executive Director of the Pace Energy and Climate Center at the Pace University School of Law in White Plains
- Cathy Zoi, former CEO of Sun Edison’s Frontier Power and co-founder and President of Odyssey Energy Solutions
- HOMER Energy CEO and Co-Founder Dr. Peter Lilienthal, Ph.D., will address participants on Microgrid Lessons from the Global Market.
Read HOMER CEO Peter Lilienthal’s conference preview for more information. For the complete conference agenda, including the panel discussion on Alaskan microgrids, and to register for the event, visit our website.